Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One time when i was brave . . .

Six months ago we were having the time of our lives in a family party we were having in honor of my little sisters 4th birthday , when we got a call and all of the sudden the party turned into a funeral . My "Tia Carmen" who lives in Mexico called us to tell us the bad news , "Mija , i know this is going to be hard for all of you but tell your mom your abuelito has just passed away , tell her she needs to be here as soon as possible and to stay strong". as soon as i heard those words come out of her mouth i felt my heart drop to the floor . i didn't know what to do , why had i been the one to pick up the phone , why did i have to be the one to give my mom such horrible news . i stayed in my room for a while trying to think of a way to tell her , so many things were going thru my mind what was going on , was it really happening , was it all a joke ?
i finally stood up , took a deep breath open the door and with all the tears falling from my eyes . i turned off the music and said . "Ma ' my tia called , my grandpa just passed away ". My mom looked at me with this lost look in her eyes , as tho she was waiting for me to say i was playing and once she came to her senses she immediately dropped to the floor . I saw her on the floor , crying wishing she was dead too . Saying "this can't be , why god , why him " It was so hard to see my mom crying , i love my mom and i loved my abuelito and even tho on the inside i was falling appart little by little seeing my mom cry and not beeing able to say goodbye to my grandpa one last time . I had to stay strong , because in my house , now i was the oldest . My little sister had just turned 4 she didnt have a clue what was going on except , that everyone was crying on her special day .  My little brother even tho he understood a little bit more , he was still lost . That night all my family with the exception of me my little brother and my little sister flew out to Mexico . I had to stay strong and be brave because for the next 3 weeks i was going to be alone with them . and so i did just that , for three weeks i was the brave one who cooked , cleaned and took them to school .

2 comments: